My Music Video

My Website

My Website
Click on the image to view my website

Monday, November 4, 2019

Post 8: My music video

Before planning my video, I looked at other popular music videos to find out the codes and conventions as well as get inspiration for my video. This helped me develop my ideas while making sure I was

Mika - We Are Golden

This is a very conventional music video as it has a heavy use of disjuncture in its editing which keeps the audience interested and wondering what could happen next. However, mismatched shots doesn't mean the pacing of the song stays the same throughout, in fact, it instead matches the song. In this case, the song starts off slow but builds up throughout ending in a big chorus at the end, the shot lengths match this as at the beginning the shots are relatively longer compared
to the end where there are up to  3 shots per second. These intercutting shots make sure the audience doesn't get bored as the video goes on.

The video also focuses solely around the artist which is very conventional of pop music videos. It is mainly a performance video but it features some loose conceptual elements that could be interpreted as a narrative which is not unconventional but is not seen as often nowadays as most pop videos take a more cinematic approach to their videos.

Mika has a very expressive and intense performance throughout the video, dancing about the room and having fun just like a kid would, which helps adds to his star identity as a passionate but joyful artist.

Planning my video



For my pre-production, I started by noting what aspects of the video I wanted to include and thought out ideas that I could do throughout the video. From this, the narrative was formed and these notes allowed me to structure my ideas properly so the pacing of the video matched the song.





I took pictures of where I was planning to shoot and created a location reccie so I could visualise what could be shot where and how.

For location risks, the only main risk was that we were shooting in a relatively small space, so I had to remain aware of the area around me and the camera crew at all times.



A rough idea of the structure I wanted in the video and where it would be.
















An initial storyboard that I created to help with planning and creating shootboards.








I created a shootboard so that my shoot day was efficient, I knew what I was shooting and how long I can realistically spend getting the shots.
















No comments:

Post a Comment